- LINK “The Bladensburg Races.” Magazine of American History, Vol XIX. July 1914: 204-211
- LINK Ball, Charles. Slavery in the United States: A Narrative of the Life and Adventures of Charles Ball, a Black Man, Who Lived Forty Years in Maryland, South Carolina and Georgia, as a Slave Under Various Masters, and was One Year in the Navy with Commodore Barney, During the Late War. New York: Published by John S. Taylor, 1837.
- LINK Barney, Mary. Biographical Memoir of the Late Commodore Joshua Barney. Boston: Gray and Bowen, 1832 :263-268
- Callcott, Margaret Law, ed. Mistress of Riversdale. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1991.
- LINK Gleig, George Robert. A Narrative of the Campaigns of the British Army at Washington and New Orleans. London: John Murray, 1821.
- LINK Hunt, Gaillard. The Writings of James Madison. Vol VIII. New York: Knickerbocker Press, 1908. 294-297
- LINK Madison, Dorthy Todd, ed. Memoirs and Letters of Mrs. Madison. Boston: Houghton Mifflin and Co., 1886.
- LINK McKenney, Thomas. “Battle of Bladensburg.” The Portico. Vol 5, 1818: 359-370.
- LINK Adkins, Milton. “Bladensburg Dueling Ground.” Magazine of American History, Vol 25. 1891: 18-34
- Borneman, Walter. 1812: The War that Forged a Nation. New York: Harper Collins, 2005.
- LINK Brackenridge, Henry. History of the Late War, Between the United States and Great Britian. Philadelphia, PA: James Kay and Brother, 1836.
- Burstein, Andrew. Madison and Jefferson. New York: Random House, 2010
- LINK “The Battle of Bladensburg.” Magazine of American History, Vol 14. 1885: 438-457
- Lord, Walter. The Dawn’s Early Light. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1994.
- LINK Lossing, Benson J. Pictorial Field-Book of the War of 1812. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1868. (Chapter XXXIX)
- LINK Mahan, Alfred Thayer. Sea Power in its Relations to the War of 1812. Vol 2. Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1905
- LINK Marine, William M. The British Invasion of Maryland 1812-1815. Baltimore: Society of the War of 1812, 1913.
- Pitch, Anthony. The Burning of Washington. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1998.
- Standiford, Les. Washington Burning. New York: Crown Publishers, 2008
- LINK Williams, John S. History of the Invasion and Capture of Washington and of The Events Which Preceded and Followed. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1857.
- LINK Wharton, Anne Hollingsworth. Social Life in the Early Republic. Philadelphia, PA: J.B. Lippincott Company, 1902.
Studies and Other Information
- LINK United States. American Battlefield Protection Program, National Park Service. Report to Congress on the Historic Preservation of Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Sites in the United States. Washington: NPS, 2007.
- LINK United States. National Park Service. Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail Feasibility Study and Environmental Impact Statement. Philadelphia, PA: NPS, 2004.
- LINK United States. National Park Service. Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail Interpretive Plan. Annapolis, MD: NPS, 2011.
- LINK United States. National Park Service. Access, Stewardship and Interpretive Opportunity Plan for Water Portions of the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail. Annapolis, MD: NPS, 2010.